Sunday, July 3, 2016

Gossip..."Snakes in the Grass, Better Step on the Gas"

Have you ever been a victim of the dreaded "Gossip Circle"? I think everyone has been once in their life time. I'll tell you it can literally kill someone. I'm going to take it a bit farther. I believe it kills the very people that are the "Gossipers".  Honestly, the only reason someone gossips is so they don't have to look at their own life and how miserable it is. If the Gossiper speaks about other's lives and how crappy their lives are then they get to reflect off of their lives and concentrate on others. But this is not in a positive way, it is in a harmful and hurtful way.

But for some reason Gossipers always have people around them. They have tons of "friends". I think there is 2 reasons behind this. One is because they always have the scoop. And people always want to know what is going on. They don't care if it is true or not, it's just "what they heard". People hang around the Gossipers because they are like that "TMZ" TV show, but without the celebrities. It's people they know, which makes it even better. The second reason people hang around the Gossiper is because they want to make sure he/she is not gossiping about them. It's that old saying "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer". This pretty much sums up that whole saying.

So how does one handle being the victim of gossip? Then how does one handle being face to face with the "Gossip Circle"? Let's take the first one...How do you handle being the victim of gossip? First off, it's hurtful and it will break your heart. Because the people you thought were your friends will turn their backs on you and judge you right when you need them the most. So not only do you feel abandoned by your friends, they are all talking about you...to everyone...but you! The Lord said our tongues are wicked and He was right.

So with that, I say you always go to The Lord. Ask God what is true and what is not. Ask God to help you handle this with His Grace. Ask Him what is in your control and what is not. Because sometimes the gossip is not always completely false. I hate to say that, but no one wants to be judged. Gossip is not ever going to be completely true, but there could be a hint of truthiness to it.  Maybe there is something you could do better, and maybe not.

God wants us broken.  Sometimes being in that "Gossip Circle" and having your friends turn their backs on us is exactly what we need to be broken. That is exactly what we need to get right with God.  If those "friends" turn their backs on you in times of need (like mine did) maybe they weren't friends to begin with, and you really aren't out anything. They are really just doing you a favor by stepping out of your life now?!?! No one needs or deserves people like that.

How should you handle yourself when you are faced with being asked to partake in a "Gossip Circle"? This is what I have done and still do. When I worked I was confronted with this woman who just had it out for this other younger lady. So one day the older woman decided to tell me how the younger lady allegedly went out with this other man at work (a single guy) and blah blah blah. No big deal, especially to this married older woman. So I told this older woman, "I'm going to ask "so and so" if this is true". The older woman didn't know what to do. But I did. It caused a bit of a commotion. But so did the gossip!!! I was never asked to be part of her "Gossip Circle" again and the older woman had this unspoken respect for me.  I just won't allow it in my presence and it was known.

I don't have many friends. I have one true friend (outside of my family), I used to have lots of friends. But I don't find comfort in numbers. I find comfort in quality. I have been friends with my 1 friend for almost 20 years and we are always there for each other. We don't judge each other and I can honestly say she is my sister in Christ. I feel so blessed to have her in my life. But my family is first in my life. I believe that blood is first and foremost.



"Snakes in the Grass,  Better Step on The Gas"


No comments:

Post a Comment