Monday, July 4, 2016

Taking Out The Human in Being "Human Beings"

You just don't know what is going on in someone's life. Especially in the world today. We base people's lives on a split second picture on Facebook. We think that if a picture shows a family smiling and laughing together then they must always be like that together. Then the devil puts those thoughts in your head of, "why can't my family be like their family"? And you're basing that judgement on that one picture, not knowing what was going on before or after that photo. We have put unrealistic expectations on our lives and can thank social media and the devil for those self depleting thoughts.

I think social media has broken up so many marriages it's unreal. I don't have very many friends, but I can tell you of the couple I do have, social media like Facebook and Snap Chat, have had a hand in the demise in their marriage.  And no one seems to pick up on this direct link? I don't get it!?!? If you know you are fighting over social media then delete it! But we are so addicted we would rather kill our marriages then our link to the outside world. What is that saying about us?

We have lost all sense of social skills and would rather "post a comment" and consider that communicating. A post is what we consider a real conversation with a human. We would never even think about calling someone on the phone! Having a real live phone call instead of a text message! That is why I think our marriages and families are falling apart. We have no idea how to speak with people face to face or even over the phone. We don't know how to have a conversation anymore without thinking someone is "taking up my space". We have taken out the human in being a "human beings".

I was trying to have a conversation with Mike the other night and he would NOT put down his phone. It was so frustrating. All he was doing was looking for cars for our daughter. Like a car was going to pop up in the 30 minutes we were talking? I had to tell him a good 4-5 times to put down his phone. Finally he did, but geezzzz! WoW! So that short 30 minute conversation ended up being a lot longer because we kept having to pause for him to put down his phone. His phone is like a security blanket. I tell my daughter that she replaced her thumb for her phone, and I truly believe that. But I'm just as bad when I go to bed. I love playing on my phone before I go to sleep.

Before we can even think about putting our phones and social media down we must first admit there is a problem. And that my friends is going to be a problem. People are addicted to social media and their phones. This has become an epidemic that no one wants to claim. I understand that electronics are helpful, I get that part. It's only when social media is abused. That's when it hurts others. Just like any other drug or addiction. Social media is an addiction that has been abused, and children and families are the victims. Maybe we need to have a SMA (Social Media Anonymous)? If it will keep our families together it needs to start.


No comments:

Post a Comment