Friday, March 25, 2016

How My Marriage Survived "The Change Of Life"

How can people believe that there is a hell and not a heaven? I wrote about this earlier, about how there are always 2 sides to everything. There is good with evil, white with black, yin with yang. You can't have a good day without having a bad day first. Otherwise how would you know that you were having a good day?

Same goes true with marriage. You can't always have a good marriage. We are going to struggle and sometimes fail. But that doesn't have to mean throwing in the towel. That just means it's time to reconnect on a different level. As humans we are always evolving and growing as people. That means our spiritual journey and life will change also and sometimes our mates are not always on board. Sometimes we leave them fending for themselves and that isn't fair to them at all.

As their spouse we are to have Grace and take them by the hand and help them along in this journey called "Life". As a married couple we are to grow together and experience the changes in life together. I had this fantasy when we first got married that we where going to experience every single life changing moment together. That Mike and I were going to be this "Power Couple" and we were going to be shielded off from the world. In my mind no one or thing could ever penetrate our love for each other.

There were so many wrong things with that picture. First off, I was only relying on our love for each other to get us through life. I never even thought about making God the center of our marriage, even though we went to church every so often. We weren't committed to God anymore than we were committed to each other. We were just going through the motions of our faith and our marriage. But in the last year or so I would say that God has gotten real with us.

The difference in what we are going through now compared to what we have gone through in the past is we are allowing God to heal us first. We are allowing God to do His work first before we will react to each other. This isn't a behavior that is learned overnight, this is something that Mike and I have really had to work on. We have to be conscious of our behaviors, words, and actions. The way I do that, I have asked God to give me comfort with with all the things I just stated.  He helps me!  I ask for the Holy Spirit to fill me up and make me feel at peace. I ask for discernment about situations and you know what...HE GIVES IT!

I was so young to think that the world would stay out of my bubble. Of course people and life would penetrate our world. I think that stuff tries to get in the way of marriages and things important to God just to destroy it. But Mike has a strong faith in God and in me and he has keep us together. I tried many times to throw in the towel, but he won't do it. That shows me he loves me. Even though life happened to us doesn't mean we have to give up our lives to it. Mike and I are yoked with Jesus, and no world or devil will ever be able to penetrate our bond. That's not saying that they won't try. They'll try. But Mike and I will have the tools we are learning in therapy and of course the our number 1 go to, the place we go first, our Alpha and Omega...The Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment