Sunday, February 28, 2016

Responsibility = Control

I started a couple blogs ago stating "You know how I know the devil has his foot in my marriage right now?" but I also know that the Lord also has His hand on my life. Last night at church my youngest son and his girlfriend went forward and accepted Christ as their Savior. Praise God! So for all this turmoil that is going on in my life there is grace. That is what God is about. And that is what I have to concentrate on. 

We had a sermon last night about "He Who Loves the Most Wins". It was based on Matthew 9:9-13. About loving others like Jesus loves us no matter what.

I get that, I do. Our Pastor went on to state 3 ways to love others like Jesus loves us. 1. We grow in our Character, 2. Try to understand other's Perspective, and 3. We become Courageous on acting on what is Godly, with Grace. With grace is the most important part of number 3. But I think none of that can be done until we become Responsible for our own actions and thoughts. 
When one throws their responsibility onto someone else it's a way of controlling a situation, a person, and letting themselves off the hook. And how lucky (or unlucky that's all perspective) they are if they find someone that is willing to take on their mistakes. Or maybe one has "trained" a person to think that way. Either way, it's not the way God wants us to live. 
God wants us to grow as Christians and in our relationships with people. How can we do that when we are not willing to see what we do wrong and "own" it. That is the first thing we must do. God asks us to do it with Him by repenting and we must do it with each other. No one is without fault, and that is what is so great about us. That is what draws people to each other. But, how are we to create a good inner character and gain perspective about people and become courageous in our beliefs about God if we can't even come clean in our own mistakes? I'm here to tell you IT IS IMPOSSIBLE! It won't happen! 
We have to become responsible for our OWN actions and thoughts. That is the only way we will have successful relationships, careers, children, basically anything. If you can't go to someone and tell them you did or that, then just stop doing this or that. Be courageous that way. It's scary to change your behavior because that's all you know. But if it's not getting you anywhere and if it's causing you or the others around you heartache then let go of that control of fear and ask God to help you change it.  
Because control is based on fear. I'm guilty of it. I won't completely let Mike into my heart because I don't want to be hurt by him anymore. I don't know if I will ever be able to let him back in. I love him, but I am planning my escape route. That is a fear based on me controlling my emotions on who I'm going to let into my heart and who I'm not. Fear sucks! I hate it, it's a real emotion, but not always a truthful emotion.  
God is not fear, God is love. I have to remind myself of that daily. This world is hard and I don't know how I would get through it without my Lord. I hope this blog inspires you to grow in your character by taking responsibility for your actions so you can gain perspective of others. And with that become courageous in this world to speak up for God with Grace and Love. God Bless!
Matthew 9:9-13 The Message (MSG)
Passing along, Jesus saw a man at his work collecting taxes. His name was Matthew. Jesus said, “Come along with me.” Matthew stood up and followed him.
10-11 Later when Jesus was eating supper at Matthew’s house with his close followers, a lot of disreputable characters came and joined them. When the Pharisees saw him keeping this kind of company, they had a fit, and lit into Jesus’ followers. “What kind of example is this from your Teacher, acting cozy with crooks and riffraff?”
12-13 Jesus, overhearing, shot back, “Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? Go figure out what this Scripture means: ‘I’m after mercy, not religion.’ I’m here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders.”



No comments:

Post a Comment